Honoring nurses as the community
heroes they are
Showing gratitude for nurses
We rely on nurses, in a pandemic and beyond, to provide the highest patient care, customer service, and leadership to improve and even save our lives, and those of our loved ones. It’s a physically, mentally, and emotionally grueling job, and their personal fulfillment is typically their most meaningful reward.
In December, we added our gratitude to the entire profession by honoring nine outstanding nurses in Jamaica as New Fortress Energy Foundation Community Heroes for their work surrounding Covid-19:
- Sharon Burrell, RN, May Pen General Hospital, Clarendon
- Alecia Frazer Moulton, RN, May Pen General Hospital, Clarendon
- Sheena Lindo Kerr, Departmental Nurse Manager, Cornwall Regional Hospital, St. James, Montego Bay
- Nodia McLeod, RN, Spanish Town Hospital, St. Catherine
- Crystal Simmonds, RN, Cornwall Regional Hospital, St. James, Montego Bay
- Kimberly Spence, Registered nurse, Cornwall Regional Hospital, St. James, Montego Bay
- Winnifred Stewart Wellington, Nurse Manager, Linstead Hospital, St. Catherine
- Zaphia Stewart, RN, Spanish Town Hospital, St. Catherine
- Tanaquio Williams, RN, Lionel Town Hospital, Clarendon
“Even before the pandemic, our nurses have been the champions at the hospital; but more so now since Covid, they have been going non-stop, championing the fight against the virus,” said Dr. Bradley Edwards, Senior Medical Officer, May Pen General Hospital. “We are very happy to see them being recognised in this way for their hard work, and we commend New Fortress Energy for honoring them.”
Selected by the nursing directors at five local hospitals, the nurses were surprised with their awards at special recognition events at Cornwall Regional Hospital, Spanish Town Hospital, and May Pen General Hospital. Each nurse received $100,000 (Jamaican) home improvement shopping vouchers, a keepsake plaque, and a personal care gift basket.
“I am truly honored and most elated for this award,” said Nodia McLeod, a midwife at Spanish Town Hospital. “I am most grateful foremost to God for granting me health and strength to perform my duties and responsibilities…. It is an amazing feeling being acknowledged for altruism, hard work, dedication, and resilience which epitomize the core of a professional nurse. To my nursing colleagues, according to the legendary Bob Marley, ‘You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.’”
“I am most honored to be recognized and chosen,” added Zaphia Stewart, RN, Spanish Town Hospital. “This show of appreciation without a doubt motivates us to continue doing our best… New Fortress Energy, you made my day, and I hope to continue to serve as an agent who makes positive contributions for a brighter world through healthcare.”
It was truly our honor to help recognize and celebrate the many ways that these Community Heroes are powering our world with their own positive energy.